Monday, May 4, 2009

Noodles anyone?

Summer is coming and that means somen noodles!! I used to love eating these noodles but can't due to wheat allergies. Anyway, they can be found anywhere and are eaten cold so they are quite refreshing in the hell that will soon be upon us (also known as summer).
The interesting thing about these noodles is how they can be eaten. As I mentioned these noodles are often eaten chilled. Well...back in the day there was no way to chill them except by using water so the noodles would be carried down long flumes of bamboo in ice cold water and you would pick them out as they passed you by. You would then dip them in some sauce before eating.

Most people don't have the space or desire to do it quite this way at home so of course machines were invented!

Sure beats a boring bowl!!!

11 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

thats so cool! :D fun way to eat

FromJapanWithLove said...

It is fun but your chopstick skills have to be pretty good!!

Jennifer Rose said...

I'd starve then lol

Grace said...

Oh cool!! I need one of those!!!

Totoro said...

Omg! I want to eat out of one of those! I didn't get to see this when I was in Japan :( It looks so fun!

Jonna said...

I'm currently visiting my daughter in japan and trying to learn to use chopsticks...haven't done the noodle thing yet. And a question for you....where do yo find tape with the designs on it? My daughter has no clue what I'm talking about and I'd love to get some while I'm here. Thanks for any help you could throw my way. We are in Hekinan.

Jess littlebunny.etsy.com said...

I am loving the noodle water slide!

FromJapanWithLove said...

Jona-good luck with chopsticks!! About the tape...I don't know where Hekinan is but just find a shopping mall that sells cute things like memo pads and stickers and you should find the tape.

Hi Jess!

Last night I was watching Japanese tv and they were demonstrating the noodle slide...it was pretty cool! the water moves at quite a pace so you have to be quick to grab the noodles! The girls on the show couldn't always catch them!

'Cuz I Felt Like It! said...

That's like having a mini little water park for your noodles!

Candice DeVille said...

That is too too fabulous! that would be the perfect way to get my children to eat dinner. Combine it with a game of "Mouse Trap"!

FromJapanWithLove said...

Kawaii mama...I have been seeing these everywhere lately now that summer is coming but I wonder if people really use them? I must ask my friends!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails