Friday, June 18, 2010

Homemade Gluten Free Okonomiyaki

Lately I've really been into cooking and baking and so I decided to make some gluten free okonomiyaki and the sauce for it. Okonomiyaki is kind of a savory pancake. We eat the "kansai fu" which means "Osaka style". We took some pictures.....but they aren't great as they are taken at night in the kitchen. Also, if you click on the links within the recipes, it will take you to some sites that sell the items you need to make it. We aren't connected to these places in any way and haven't used these brands but it will give you an idea of what the items are.

This makes a big okonomiyaki-good for 1 really hungry person or 2 or more people.

I made the sauce the day before (all store bought sauce has gluten in it).

The sauce:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon soy sauce (gluten free)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
1/8 teaspoon ginger (ground, in a jar)

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 1 minute or so stirring constantly. You can add honey for a sweeter version or a bit more soy sauce if you find it too sweet. Remove and cool. Store in the refrigerator.



The "pancake" part of the recipe:
1/2 cup Pamela's baking and pancake mix
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 large egg
1 cup of water
about 2 cups of cabbage cut into bite size pieces (I didn't measure this so it is a guess)
6 pieces of raw shrimp cut into pieces
3-4 pieces of "buta bara" (buta bara is thinly sliced pork belly-You could use another kind of pork-thinly sliced bacon perhaps) Here is a picture.

Toppings:

sauce (see recipe above)
aonori-ground nori (seaweed)
Japanese Mayonnaise (American mayonnaise won't work for this)
katsuobushi (dried shaved bonito fish)

Cut up the cabbage into bite sized pieces and put aside for the moment. In a big bowl,combine the flours, water and egg and stir well.

In a big (lightly oiled) frying pan, lay the meat out in strips and then add the shrimp on top. The heat should be medium. Add the cabbage to the bowl of "pancake" mix and mix well. Pour this mixture on top of the meat and shrimp. I then covered the pancake with a lid. Just like a pancake...when the top has bubbles or is getting a bit dry looking and the bottom (you can check with a spatula) is turning a nice golden brown you can flip it over. Now, this is a big heavy pancake-I can actually flip it (thanks to a few years of being a cook in a restaurant back in high school!) but if you can't you will have to try to flip it over with a spatula.....if it break apart don't worry about it as it will still taste great! Let it completely cook on the other side. You can cut into it to check that is cooked through if you aren't sure. When it is done, put it on a plate.

Add the sauce on top-I like a nice bit of sauce so I add a fair bit. Then sprinkle the aonori on top. Then add the mayonnaise and then the katsuobushi and it is done!! My hubby loves this better than the real stuff so I'm pretty happy with that!

8 comments:

Steffi said...

that's a sexy okonomiyaki :) how exactly is kansai okonomiyi different from the regular (toppings?)... I thought it was all pretty much an Osaka speciality.

FromJapanWithLove said...

There are basically 2 kinds of okonomiyaki...Osaka style and Hiroshima style. Hiroshima style uses yaki soba noodles. you can see an example here.

http://en.wa-shoi.com/shared/okonomiyaki-3.jpg

Aries said...

Had never heard of it or try it before. Looks yummy and easy to make. Will try it some day.

Grace said...

Oh yum!!!! I LOVE OKONOMIYAKI!! I'm going to try your recipe one day... thanks!!!

Drea said...

Watashi wa okonomiyaki ga suki desu!!!

Melissa said...

Oh man, I am so glad I found this recipe. Okonomiyaki is one of my favorite things ever, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to find a GF recipe post-Celiac diagnosis.

Yay, thank you!

FromJapanWithLove said...

Hi Melissa! Glad I can help. I just wanted to say that I have made it with only brown rice flour with no problem!

Anonymous said...

I will be sending this recipe to my mother in the States. She has been having a hard time sticking to a gluten-free diet. I also live in Japan( GIFU) and would really like my mother to start a Japanese diet( vegetables, soy, etc..)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails